Work-life or blog life | Book Blogger Hop #1
I stumbled across The Book Blogger Hop – I’m trying to become more active not only posting on my blog but also within the book blogger community – anywho, I thought this question about work-life was actually really relevant!
For all of you worker bees out there! How do you balance having a day job/career and managing your blog at night? Is it hard or easy to do, and what do people in your work life think of your blogs? (submitted by Danielle @ PoetryBooksYA)
If you have read some of my more recent posts you will know how much of a toll my work-life takes on both my reading and my ability to blog. I don’t have a simple fix all solution, as I still struggle to balance them both and have a wonderful marriage and home life. But here are some of my tips.
- Schedule everything in advance – if you can make sure you have at least one week’s worth of content in the “can” as it were and rearrange if you have something time sensitive come up in between
- I’ve been using a wonderful plugin called WordPress Editorial Calendar to help me move posts around and reschedule.
- Make time for your blog – I set aside time each day to work on either a blog post or any maintenance that needs to be done and I stick to it. I don’t make excuses and I push through regardless of all the other little jobs I have to do.
- I have also stopped taking my work home with me. This WAS a deal breaker, I just didn’t want to do it anymore. My efforts at work were going basically unnoticed and I was wearing myself out. I realised I wanted to spend more time doing my blog than doing work that could wait.
- MAKE IT A PRIORITY. This kinda falls in with making time for your blog but it’s different as well, your blog needs to be a priority, it may not pay the bills or be as important as the job that does but it has to rank high on your list because if it doesn’t then what’s the point?
I think even with all these tips it’s extremely difficult to balance your job and blog and everything else. I think people underestimate how much blood, sweat, and tears goes into writing and running a blog, it’s not an easy feat!
And for the last question, no one in my work life pays that much attention to my blog, they know I run it but apart from that, it’s just on the peripheral.
Let me know what you do to balance your work life and blog life! I would love some more tips and ways to manage my time better!